JAFL V Courcey Rovers – 16/2


Shamrocks 1-13, Courcey Rovers 2-4


Shamrocks got their second win of the Junior A Football season under their belt with a fully deserved win over a battling Courcey Rovers side in Shanbally on Sunday afternoon last.


After all the recent rain, the bottom pitch in Shanbally was in good nick for a game considering. But as is so often the case at this time of year, the strong wind which blew down the pitch towards the village did its best to spoil the excellent efforts of the players.


Shamrocks played with the wind in the first half and went about their business of trying to build up as much a lead as possible before the inevitable second half onslaught. And they were doing fine for most of the half. The half forward line of Cannice Caffrey, Chris O’Neill and David Hayes were getting on a lot of ball and delivering the points, mostly from play. The midfield of Alan McCarthy and Brian Sweeney were winning a good share of the possession while the backs were coping adequately with the sporadic Courcies attacks. Barry Mulqueen also got on the scoresheet and Shamrocks were leading by 0-8 to 0-1 with 25 minutes gone.

Courcey Rovers created a couple of goal chance just before halftime and scored an important major to leave the halftime score Shamrocks 0-10, Courcey Rovers 1-1.


Shamrocks turned to face the wind and the hill in the second half knowing that a lot of hard work was needed to keep ahead by the end. And this they did. The workrate was good throughout and all players made vital contributions. Some serious injuries to key players during the second half, allied to a scoring burst from Courcey Rovers mid way through the same half threathened to throw Shamrocks off. However, the subs brought in made vital contributions and Shamrocks kept their composure. Eoin O’Mahony and Cannice Cafferey had helped Shamrocks stay ahead before a cracking goal from the visitors brought them within 2 points of Shamrocks, 0-12 to 2-4 with 7 minutes remaining.


However, Shamrocks were awarded a penalty and Darragh O’Sullivan slotted home the resultant penalty. Shamrocks won the next kickout and this resulted in another vital point into the wind and that brought an end to the scoring, Shamrocks winning by 6 points.


Shamrocks are top of the table after 2 weeks. Apart from the injuries to some players, the management were happy with everything overall. Lets hope to see all players in action throughout the season, whether it be A or B football or indeed hurling. Training for ALL players continues this week.


The club would like to wish a speedy revovery to the three players who had to leave the field with injuries, 2 having to go to hospital, namely Mark Jordan, Michael Prout and Cannice Cafferey.


Panel on duty: F. O’Neill, S. Andrews, S. Hurley, J. Tuohy, R. Harrington, M. Prout, M. O’Neill, A. McCarthy, B. Sweeney, D. Hayes, C. O’Neill, C. Cafferey, E. O’Mahony, B. Mulqueen, M. Jordan, D. O’Sullivan, C. Kidney, C. Brady, A. Shelly, J. Browne, P. Brady, J. Brady, J. Wilson, R. Twomey, A. Hickey, D. O’Neill, J. Shanahan, D. Kelleher, D. Scriven, N. Hayes, C. O’Grady.


You may also like...