U12 FL Semi V Whitescross – 31/8


Shamrocks 2-12, Whitescross 1-6


Shamrocks are through to play St Vincents in the final of the Grade C League after accounting for Whitescross by double scores in Shanbally on Saturday afternoon last.


The teams looked evenly matched early on with Shamrocks playing into a slight breeze up the pitch. The teams were level 0-2 to 0-2 after 15 minutes but then Shamrocks seemed to get a grip on things somewhat, in particular after Dylan O’Flahertys long range free went all the way to the Whitescross net. This gave Shamrocks a big boost and they added a further point from Seán Browne to lead 1-4 to 0-5 at halftime.


Once again, Shamrocks made some positional switches for the second half and they did the trick. The main one of swopping Cian O’Flaherty and Robert Van Pelt proved to very successful. Cian was on the end of many moves, helping himself to a few points while linking up well with Seán Andrews (now at midfield) and his brother Dylan, who once again was top scorer and proved a handful for the Whitescross defence all through.


Van Pelt in goal was a revelation – when Whitescross came strong at Shamrocks midway through the second half looking for their much needed goal, he brought off at least 4 brilliant saves; throwing himself in front of the attackers on occasions to thwart the inside line. His defenders in front of him, Evan Seymour and Dylan Gregson (returning from injury) were also strong when counted. Mark Sisk’s confidence grew as the game went on while young Fionn Herlihy stuck to his task all through at half back.


Besides the aforementioned players, Seán Browne at midfield had a good first half in particular and always did something constructive with the ball, normally laying it off for the scoring forwards. Jody Sisk battled hard and laid off some important ball as well; Sam Geary won some good ball in the corner and drew vital frees which were slotted over while Luke O’Driscoll and sub Jeff Farquer also made telling contributions.


The second half mostly belonged to Shamrocks who got on top from midfield and apart form the Whitescross fightback midway through the second half, they were always in control after Seán Andrews belted home a brilliant goal after 5 minutes of the second half. The lead of 6 points at that stage was stretched to 9 thanks to points from the 2 O’Flahertys; Whitescross did get a goal themselves but Shamrocks went down the pitch and slotted over more points to leave them deserving winners by 9 points.


The final against St Vincents will be played the weekend of Friday September 13th, exact time, venue and date to be decided. Shamrocks will train this Wednesday at 6pm. Further training schedules to be decided.


There was an accidental nasty clash of heads before half time between Harry Andrews of Shamrocks and the wing back from Whitescross, also called Harry! Both players received treatment on the field and well done to the mentors/parents from both sides who reacted quickly to the situation. We’re glad to report that Shamrocks Harry, after a visit to the hospital is fine this evening. Indeed, typical of Harry, he was back out on the green in front of his house pucking sliotar with his brother and teammate Seán only 4 hours later!


Panel on duty – C. O’Flaherty, M. Sisk, E. Seymour, S. Andrews, F. Herlihy, L. O’Driscoll, S. Browne, D. O’Flaherty, H. Andrews, J. Sisk, R. Van Pelt, S. Geary, D. Gregson, J. Farquer.  




Back row, l to r: Evan Seymour, Dylan O'Flaherty, Sean Browne, Sam Geary, Luke ODriscoll, Jody Sisk. Front: Robert Van Pelt, Harry Andrews, Sean Andrews, Fionn Herlihy, Dylan Gregson, Mark Sisk, Cian O'Flaherty, Jeff Farquer.

Back row, l to r: Evan Seymour, Dylan O’Flaherty, Sean Browne, Sam Geary, Luke ODriscoll, Jody Sisk. Front: Robert Van Pelt, Harry Andrews, Sean Andrews, Fionn Herlihy, Dylan Gregson, Mark Sisk, Cian O’Flaherty, Jeff Farquer.


You may also like...